Here are some tips from Saint Elizabeth to keep your balance and stay active!
Did you know that 1 in 3 people over the age of 65 fall at least once every year? Exercising three or more times per week will help to combat falls by increasing muscle strength and balance.
Preventing a fall is important. Falling can result in serious injury, reduced muscle function and possibly loss of independence – something we all value!
With the warm weather coming, it’s important to keep your balance while you enjoy your favorite outdoor activities. Some tips to help with balance include:
- Warm up – stretch your legs before walking, running or gardening
- Wear shoes that lace up, support your foot and grip the ground
- Watch your step – be aware of surroundings and watch for tripping hazards
- Slow down and concentrate on the task at hand
- Avoid uneven surfaces
- Maintain your base of support – standing and walking with feet slightly apart improves stability
- Use a cane or walker if recommended by a health care provider
- Consult a physiotherapist for simple exercises to improve strength, balance and endurance
Saint Elizabeth is an award-winning not-for-profit and charitable organization. Our team of more than 6500 nurses, rehab therapists, personal support workers and crisis intervention staff deliver nearly five million health care visits annually.