Most of us would like to live in our own home for as long as possible. After all, our homes are full of memories and we know how to get to shops, friends, places of worship, banks and doctors. As we age, with a little careful planning, there are many ways to help us stay at home for longer.
Try asking yourself this series of questions. They will help you determine realistic goals and action steps to enable your parents or family members to stay and enjoy their homes.
• What type of help do my parents need today and in the future to allow them to stay at home?
• How is my parents’ physical health?
• How is my parents’ mental health?
• How is my parents’ emotional health?
• Do my parents have the financial resources to pay for help?
• Do my parents have the financial resources to change and renovate the home?
• Are there family and friends close by who can help?
• What do my parents think about staying at home with more help and possible changes to the house?
• What changes need to be made and when?
Read the full article here.